Thursday, May 7, 2015

Reflection: Christina Gedick

Research Topic
My trip to Prague and Berlin was an unforgettable experience. Not only was it my first time traveling out of the United States, but it was also an eye-opening opportunity.  The purpose of the travel course was to study resiliency and architecture, but what I got out of the trip was so much more than just that. My study topic was directed towards the Charles Bridge in Prague. Being one of the oldest and most magnificent bridges, my interest was spiked before I even knew the history behind it. A person can research all they want about a topic but until they truly experience it first hand, they will never know and understand the full history behind it. My research included topics of resiliency and how the bridge has managed to withstand years of major flooding and many controversial discussions have come to surface when the bridge is in need of repairs. It is not until you are standing on top of the bridge, looking out at the historical city full magnificent buildings that were built centuries ago that you recognize why making modernized repairs might be so controversial. 

Infographic
While I was observing the Bridge’s history I also found new techniques of preserving the bridge that I could then include in my info graphic about preventative water damage methods against flooding and water erosion. While we were in Prague, we noticed giant wooden logs that were strategically placed along the bridge in the water. It was later learned that these logs were actually ice-breakers that were placed to help disrupt the flow of the river as well as break the ice in cold weather. This was one of many methods used to help preserve the bridge from water damage. 



Travel experience
Not having traveled outside of the United States previously, I expected to be cultured shocked.  And that I was. More so in Prague opposed to Berlin, due the fact that Berlin is much more modernized than Prague. Not only was Prague a different culture but I felt like I was reversing in time. Everything that surrounded me was constructed many centuries ago and it did not feel like I was living in 2015. I was lucky to have experienced these countries with a great group of people and an excellent teacher and I believe that everyone worked together nicely to gain the best possible experience abroad. I personally enjoyed learning about new cultures and values, trying new foods, and meeting new people.



Critical reflection
One specific moment during the trip had a huge impact on me. During our layover to France I was getting my passport stamped for the very first time. As I gazed at my freshly purchased passport with excitement the guard said ever so casually, “Keep it moving, next”,  and interrupted my newly discovered joy.  At that moment I knew that I was about to embark on an adventure that I had not previously had the opportunity to partake in. What seemed like an everyday task to the security guard, was an opportunity of a lifetime for myself. Growing up I did not get many chances to travel so now that I’m older and I can support myself I am taking advantage of every opportunity to travel. I believe that there are so many places worth seeing around the world, and my trip to Prague and Berlin absolutely reinforced that idea. 

Personal growth
This trip to Prague and Berlin is just one of the many experiences I have had in college that makes me a well-rounded person. I feel more informed about culture and travelling then I previously did, and my knowledge of design in general has expanded. I learned that sometimes it is okay to feel vulnerable and uncomfortable, but being surrounded by people who are experiencing the same things makes it that much easier.  I had many laughs with old and new friends and I am glad to say I got to share this experience with many wonderful people from Mount Ida College. This travel course has opened my eyes to many previously undiscovered topics, and even the unplanned places we stumbled upon have been highly beneficial to my knowledge.

Academic enhancement
Over the years in College we take many courses that allow us to study design and architecture, but seeing all of the studied topics first hand was where I truly learned the most. I would strongly encourage anybody to travel during college no matter what their field of interest is. College is the time to learn the most about your passion and what better way to learn it than seeing it right in front of you. Learning about resiliency and design through text books and lectures has helped make me a better student, but seeing all of these topics in another country first hand, has made me better designer. I can now take what I have learned abroad and apply it to the real world


Civic engagement

As a designer I can now contribute my own knowledge to the community that I gained throughout my observations and studies in Prague and Berlin.  To be a part of these outside communities, learn something from them, and to be able to present information back to different communities is truly a blessing. These newly learned topics have now enriched my life and career and have now contributed to the well-rounded person that I am becoming. When an opportunity presents itself, I have learned to take it no matter what obstacles or hardships I may have to overcome. At the end of the day, what I took from the travel course is important, but what I can give back is equally if not more important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment